Sunday, April 14, 2013

Why I do this...

Let me say....HOLY CRAP!!! I completely forgot this existed! And to my imaginary reader, I'm sorry. I will never abandon you again. Now to begin my second post...

I suppose if I'm going to post once a year about my involvement in the SCA, I might as well start with the big question. Why?

That is a very good question. I'm going to be honest...I don't particularly like medieval. Don't get me wrong, I do. But if I had to choose, I would pick a more medieval-fantasy atmosphere. I've been working on my persona for ages and whenever I look at histories, garb, lifestyles, etc., all I think is 'eh'. My ideal garb would be something straight out of Lord of the Rings but alas, tis not period (and I've looked).

So why do I love the SCA? Well, I do like the artsy fartsy side. I knit both mundanely and period. I'm terrible at it, but I would like to learn to sew something passable. I've dabbled in chain-mail, wire weaving, pewter casting, drop spindle,calligraphy, and so much more and loved it all. But what I love most is being the hero of my own story. As a kid, my heroes were Power Rangers, Beetleborgs, and Xena. Growing up, I fell in love with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. I wanted to run away with the Doctor and explore Pandora with Neytiri. I wanted adventure and I wanted to be the hero.

When I'm Jillian, I'm a college student working on a degree that is going to be dead useless in the future and can't find a job to save my life. When I'm Aine inghean Fhearghuis, I'm a 16th century Irish pirate with nothing ahead of me but the open sea and adventure. Jillian is eaten alive by insecurities and depression with the feeling that her life is falling apart all around her. Aine is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment